FirstService Residential Maintenance Supervisor in Coral Springs, Florida
Do you aim high? Are you genuinely helpful? Are you looking for a place where you can make a difference, receive ongoing support and training, and build a rewarding, long-lasting career? Then you may be a good fit for FirstService Residential, North America's foremost property management firm. We're all about our associates, and as we continue to grow, we're looking for even more quality people who share our dedication to doing what's right, improving residents' quality of life, building great relationships and truly making a difference for their clients, their colleagues and themselves. Is that you? If so, we think you should get to know us.
This position assumes total responsibility for the "physical plant." Closely monitors, identifies and communicates problems in every phase of general maintenance of the building(s), including areas of carpentry, electrical work, HVAC, plumbing, mechanic, painting, flooring, patching, general hardware, other minor building repairs and cleanliness. Makes recommendations, performs repairs, replacement maintenance and implements preventive maintenance as established by Company procedures and guidelines.
- Maintains a safe and secure environment throughout the building(s).
- Supervises, trains and directs maintenance staff through work orders.
- Plans, monitors, and appraises job results; coaches, counsels and disciplines employees.
- Assesses repair needs and estimated time needed for repair (including evaluating problems to determine whether or not professional assistance or further instruction is needed in order to complete task/repair).
- Monitors the functions of service contractors and building repair and maintenance contractors.
- Inventories and acquisitions maintenance supplies.
- Maintains disaster preparedness by identifying potential problems, developing response plans, managing crises.
- Completes reports/work orders of repairs (work needed).
- On call availability for emergencies and projects as assigned by property manager.
- Schedules and assigns work responsibilities to employees to meet shift requirements.
- Requests materials, tools, and supplies needed for a job.
- Administrates preventive/reactive maintenance schedule.
- Records and evaluates preventive maintenance activities and programs.
- Oversees or participates in construction, installation, and preventative maintenance of equipment.
- Observes/evaluates corrective maintenance or repair on equipment.
- Orients and trains employees to perform maintenance activities and tasks.
- Follows safety procedures and maintains a safe work environment.
- Performs maintenance replacement and repair in areas of carpentry, electrical work, plumbing, mechanical, painting, flooring, and other minor building repairs as long as a permit is not required to conduct the job.
- Ability to properly utilize new equipment and follow safety procedures prior to using this equipment.
OPERATING SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
High school diploma or equivalency preferred. Maintains current knowledge in the field of maintenance repairs and replacements through industry sponsored educational seminars. HVAC and/or other related trade licenses/ certifications may be required.
Must possess strong maintenance and repair skills in HVAC, cooling towers, chillers, painting, carpentry, plumbing and electricity. Requires a minimum of three (3) to five (5) years general experience in building trades, repair and replacement maintenance or handy work. Supervisory experience preferred. Computer literacy: Proficiency and working knowledge of Microsoft offices applications. Word, Excel spreadsheets, and e-mail. Effective written and verbal communication skills. Strong customer service, communication and interpersonal skills required.
Special Requirements/Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs following appropriate safety procedures
- Work in an upright standing position for long periods of time; be able to reach overhead; have full range of mobility in upper and lower body
- Be able to work in various positions, including, but not limited to stooping, standing, bending over, sitting, kneeling and squatting for extended periods of time, climbing stairs, navigating the property/building quickly and easily as required to meet the job functions
- Climb ladders and work at heights above ground level (maximum 14 ft on A-frames and 21 ft on extension ladders)
- Ability to work in different environmental working conditions (e.g. heat, cold, wind, rain, humidity)
- Repeat various motions with the wrists, hands and fingers
- Be able to lift, pull and push materials and equipment up to 50 lbs occasionally to complete assigned job tasks
- Communicate, receive and exchange ideas and information by means of the spoken and written word
- Maintain a valid Florida driver's license
DISCLAIMER: This is not an all-inclusive job description; therefore, management has the right to assign or reassign schedules, duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
This candidate needs to possess the following skills and qualities:
- Completes service requests within 24 hours.
- Participates in an ongoing community improvement plan and preventative maintenance program.
Diagnoses and performs maintenance/repair, as directed, involving the following on a daily basis:
Electrical and plumbing (including water lines)
- A/C and heating systems
- Stairs, gates, fences, patios, railings, roofing, gutters, fasteners
- Tile, carpet, flooring, walls, ceiling fans,
- Interior/exterior lights
- Shutters, doors, cabinets, windows, sliding glass doors
- Water heaters, boiler, electric
- Ceiling leaks, water irrigation systems, pool areas, tile, Jacuzzi, pool furniture
- Maintains proper levels of inventory and orders maintenance supplies as needed with the Property Manager's approval.
- Responsible for the thorough knowledge, implementation, training and enforcement of pertinent laws and EPA and OSHA regulations governing proper use, storage, and management of hazardous materials, including solvents, flammables, caustics, and Freon.
- Ensures preventative maintenance is performed on a timely basis and ensures preventative maintenance is planned in a proactive manner and schedules are followed.
- Creating scope of work and obtains bids and interacts with vendors. Remains knowledgeable of competitive pricing of supplies and services.
- Maintains courteous and helpful demeanor with residents, prospective residents, co-workers, vendors, etc.
- Must be available and willing to answer 24- hour maintenance emergency calls.
- Ability to operate standard maintenance equipment in a proper and safe manner.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Directly supervises maintenance staff in the department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- EDUCATION/TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and three years related experience in apartment or condo maintenance or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Up-to-Date EPA Universal and HVAC Certification not required but a big plus. Swimming Pool Certification (CPO) not required, but a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled